Q. Hi Jordan! I’ve been wanting to explore Sleepy Hollow/Tarrytown for awhile now – do you have any recommendations or must-sees while we’re there?
A. You’re going to love this area at this time of year, I promise – and the best part is that it’s just a 40-minute train ride from Grand Central (you can grab a $5 taxi into town at the station…or just walk uphill for ten minutes or so and you’ll find Main Street), making it an easy day trip in addition to a very fun one.
For a fall date in the Hudson Valley, start with one of the following autumn-themed activities:
– Horseman’s Hollow (a super-scary, awesome live-action haunted house; the video I made – or rather attempted to make – of our trip last fall is above)
– Murder Mayhem Lantern Tour (a lantern-lit hike through the cemetery made famous by Washington Irving’s Headless Horseman during which you’ll meet both “victims” and “perpetrators)
– The Great Jack O’Lantern Blaze (a walk-through of more than 5,000 carved, illuminated jack o’lanterns)
And then try these add-ons:
– Antiquing along Main Street in Tarrytown (don’t forget to check out Hank’s Alley, which is just one block off the main drag and full of affordable finds)
– Dinner at the Tarry Tavern (try their blue cheese wedge)
– Visit Kykuit (the Rockefeller mansion) or Philipsburg Manor (a perfectly preserved 300-year-old gristmill and farm)
– Drinks at The Tapp (great selection of craft beers and cool foodie-type apps)
– A game of pool at the Setback Inn (a fun dive bar with a jukebox that features music by my very own husband)
(If you’d like to have HowAboutWe’s Concierge service help plan your trip, Ramshackle Glam readers can use this link to get two months’ free membership.)
Click here for a bunch more area-specific ideas, and have fun!!!