OK, for some reason the original Oreo Truffle recipe that I put up years and years ago (inspired by Kendrick’s aunt’s recipe) has disappeared from RG, and has been replaced with a seemingly permanent link to a random post about plaid shirts from Christmas 2011. Go figure.
Anyway, I thought I’d take advantage of the fact that I’m making a batch to bring with me to visit friends tomorrow to get up the recipe again (and with better shots this time).
If you’ve never made these, you have to. People freak out.
1. Crush a 16-oz package of Oreo cookies (a food processor is probably ideal here, but I don’t have one…so I use the very effective method of putting them all in a big Ziploc bag and whacking them repeatedly with a rolling pin).
2. In a large bowl, mush together the crushed Oreos with an 8-oz package of cream cheese (full fat, please; these are truffles we’re talking about).
3. Roll the mixture into 1″ balls and set aside for the moment.
4. Melt about half a package of semi-sweet chocolate chips in the microwave (this works best if you microwave the chips in 30-second increments, mixing in between).
5. Using two forks (I used my fingers for the photo because two forks require two hands, and I would have needed a third to take a photo, but two forks is neater) gently roll each ball in the melted chocolate, and set on a wax paper-lined cookie sheet.
6. Add the toppings of your choice (I went with chopped walnuts, coconut and red sugar). You can either roll the balls in the toppings to cover them completely, or just sprinkle a little on top.
7. Let the truffles set in the refrigerator (about twenty minutes should do it).
Store covered in the refrigerator for up to a week.