Oh my god, you guys, I have unlocked the code for how to make an In ‘N’ Out burger at home. This is excellent news, because the closest In ‘N’ Out to me is at least fifteen minutes away, and when I want In ‘N’ Out I want it NOW, and without having to interact with other humans in the process, thank u. Also, you can see I didn’t take very good pics of this particular recipe, because I was busy eating it. Will update later.
OK, let’s break it down. Please go for the highest-quality ingredients you can find; it really makes a difference. (Also, it should go without saying, but this isn’t In ‘N’ Out’s *actual* recipe; this is my own take on it, but honestly, I can’t taste any difference other than liking mine even more. Which is crazy.)
What You Need:
A really good, soft bun
High-quality organic beef (I like 85% lean for burgers)
Garlic powder (stay with me)
Mayo, mustard, ketchup
- Cheddar cheese
- Sliced tomato sprinkled with just a touch of salt
- Butter lettuce (the living kind is the best)
- Bread-and-butter pickles
- Thinly sliced red onion (you can caramelize it if you want, but I prefer raw)
What You Do:
- Heat the grill on medium-high.
- Put the ground beef in a bowl, and add a good shake of garlic powder (maybe 1/2 tsp). Sprinkle a tiny bit of salt in there if you’re feeling crazy. Gently combine with your hands and form into patties.
- Put the patties on the grill and cook for about five minutes on the first side, and four on the second (more or less depending on how you like your burger), adding the cheese and lowering the grill cover for the last minute or so.
- While the patties cook, combine equal parts mayo and ketchup in a small bowl. Add about half that amount of mustard and a bit of garlic powder, and stir. That right there is your pink sauce, and it is EVERYTHING.
- Serve immediately, and try not to make too many weird sounds while you’re eating (this part is hard).