I would like to officially announce that I shall be commencing my residency as “That Blogger Chick Who Won’t Shut Up About Her Instant Pot.” I can’t help it; it makes me feel like a GENIUS.
Enter the dish I fully went ahead and improvised the other night, because I happened to have chicken thighs and mushrooms in the refrigerator, because everybody likes cream, and because my son requires pasta to be present in 100% of his meals. Presto: Creamy Chicken & Mushroom Tetrazzini. (I’m not sure this is technically tetrazzini, but whatever: My recipe, my rules.)
What You Need:
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken thighs per person (or more if you want leftovers)
- 1/2 cup flour
- 3 portobello mushroom tops, cleaned and sliced
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and finely diced
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 package pasta of your choice, cooked according to package instructions (reserve a tiny bit of pasta water just in case).
- Parsley to garnish
- Salt & pepper
- Olive oil
What You Do:
- Set the Instant Pot to “SAUTE,” and heat a splash of olive oil until shimmering.
- Dredge the chicken thighs in flour and season with salt and pepper. Working in batches, brown the thighs on both sides (about 4 min per side). Remove the chicken from the pot and cover to keep warm.
- Add a little more olive oil to the pot, then add the mushrooms and onion. Cooking, stirring occasionally, about 3 minutes or until softened. Add the garlic and cook, stirring frequently, another 30 seconds.
- Return the chicken to the pot, and add the chicken broth.
- Seal the Instant Pot, set it to “Pressure Cook” (high) for 10 minutes.
- Allow the Instant Pot to naturally release for five or so minutes, then quick release the rest of the steam. Stir in the cream.
- Add the pasta to the pot and toss well to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste, and add a little of the reserved pasta water to loosen the sauce, if necessary. Serve with parsley garnish.