I was extremely not into the concept of rubbing oils into my scalp. I mean, wouldn’t that make it…oily? I had visions of that time in high school when I tried one of those olive oil/mayonnaise hair masks (mmhmm, sure did) and suffered the consequences for a cool week.
This scalp treatment – which promotes scalp health and hair growth, and also leaves your hair feeling like angel wings – is a whoooole different beast, and you have to try it. My hair has never, ever, ever been this soft (and said softness has been commented on by three separate people who had no very good reason to lie to me, so: corroborated).
DIY Castor Oil, Jojoba Oil & Peppermint Oil Scalp Mask
- Combine 2tbsp castor oil and 1 tsp jojoba oil. Heat for 10-20 seconds, then add 5 drops of peppermint oil.
- Rub the treatment into your scalp, concentrating on areas that could use a little extra love.
- Cover with a towel or shower cap and let sit for at least an hour (overnight is fine, too), then wash out with regular shampoo.
Oh! And Sky Organics (who’s an RG sponsor) offers a box containing all three of the full-size oils you need to make up to 30 of these treatments (with free shipping!) – and the oils also have bazillions of different ways to be used for both beauty and household purposes.
More ways I use these particular oils:
- Castor Oil promotes hair growth (so throw a little on any thinning spots, as well as on your lashes and eyebrows), and is also great for helping to fade scars. It’s a carrier oil, so it’s the kind of thing you’ll want to buy in bulk so you can use it in all sorts of different ways.
- Jojoba Oil is a mini miracle: you can use it all over your body to moisturize with zero greasiness or stickiness, can use it to remove your makeup, and can even use it as a pore-purifying face cleanser.
- Peppermint Essential Oil can be added to baths and carrier oils to help soothe muscle pain, headaches and and menstrual cramps, and alleviate congestion. It also promotes hair growth, hence its inclusion in this DIY recipe 🙂