This is what my patio looks like this morning. It is not, however, what it looked like yesterday. Between the whole winter/rain situation (the one that also destroyed my outdoor table and benches) and the fact that it’s served as the equipment storage area and workspace for the renovations we’ve been doing for the past six months…
It was officially trashed.
It was so gross I’m embarrassed to show you, but I’m going to. Greater good, and all that.
I don’t even know what those spots ARE.
(I’m so ashamed.)
So clearly this needed to be dealt with – preferably immediately, because I’m all about having friends over all summer long to BBQ, relax in the sun, and swim in the pool – mostly because if I’m the one hosting that means I never have to leave my house, ever. If you build it, they will come, etc etc.
If you, too, have outdoor spaces that are in serious need of some cleaning to prepare them for summer, here’s what you do:
- Locate a receptacle. A bucket would probably be ideal, but if you, like me, are only able to find a random kitty litter box, that works too.
- Wear plastic gloves and boots.
- Pour 1/2 cup Clorox® Regular Bleach2 with CLOROMAX® for every gallon of water into the bucket/kitty litter box.
- If your space only needs a light cleaning, you can use a mop to apply the bleach solution to the surface, but if you have staining or caked-on grit (as I clearly did), you’ll need a stiff-bristled brush or broom. Deck-brushing, of course, counts as cardio, so you can feel virtuous and healthy while you do this.
- Wait five minutes, then use a garden hose to remove the bleach solution from the surface.
P.S. Did I cover my grill for the winter, or put away my patio chairs, or do anything at all to protect them from the elements? Come on; you know me better than that. For easy surfaces that need some cleaning and disinfecting, use Clorox® Clean-Up® Cleaner + Bleach. A few sprays, let it stand for 30 seconds, and wipe away clean.
This post was created in partnership with Clorox. Thank you for supporting the brands that help keep RG ticking!