Just because it’s not July 4th doesn’t mean you can’t wear red, white & blue. (I mean, if Reese Witherspoon can do it…right?) It’s tricky, though. If you’re trying to show just a touch of patriotism (or are simply into this particular color combination) but don’t feel like going the full-on Party Like You’re An American Flag route, here’s how to do it.
– Build the outfit around a single color (red, white or blue – I went for blue here) and use the other two shades as accents.
– Stick to only one piece that’s all three colors (like these loafers) per outfit – this goes double if the piece in question is an actual American flag print.
– Speaking of American flag prints – these are for super-casual excursions only, so if beaches and beers aren’t on the menu look for pieces that incorporate the color trio in more sophisticated ways (small-print plaids and polka dots, stripes, et cetera).
– Incorporate black-and-white elements (like a striped tee, or the band on the hat pictured here).
– Add a little heather grey (like this tank) to soften up the other colors in the palette.
– Use accessories (chunky gold jewelry, scarves, hats and vests) to layer in texture and make the look feel a little less BBQ-only.