What I brought home from Florida: a very mild tan (I managed to not get sunburned for perhaps the first time in my life, which meant that I hid out under an umbrella a lot and also managed to not get that tan, but I suppose that’s good too), a lion-shaped pool toy, some phenomenal chocolate-coconut things, and a renewed appreciation for completely (or…ok…mostly) au naturale hair.
Us on spring break.
See? That’s how I wore it most days that we were there: loose and curly and styling-tool free. And I had so much fun experimenting with different ways to wear my crazy waves while on vacation (pinned up! with a silk scarf! side-braided!) that I decided I wanted to take them home with me. Not for all the time – I still obviously love my curling iron – but an easier, more natural look is a fun new option to have in my repertoire for spring.
– Condition. First, and most important: I’m a broken record on this topic, but conditioning is absolutely crucial for wavy hair if you want to let it do its own thing: nourished hair is less frizzy hair, and less frizzy hair is probably what you’re going for. Try Dove Intensive Repair Shampoo and Conditioner – the system targets split ends and breakage and repairs damaged hair proteins, resulting in smoother, more healthy-looking waves.
– Smooth. Apply a small amount of anti-frizz product (two of my favorites are Dove Nourishing Oil Care Anti-Frizz Serum, which I tend to use before blow-drying, and Dove Frizz-Free Shine Cream-Serum, which I use for touch-ups over the course of the day) while hair is still damp, and then let it air-dry. Try to resist the temptation to throw it into a bun until it’s completely dry.
– Add Polish. If you’re on vacation or looking to go totally casual, just a little more anti-frizz product on the ends should do the trick…but if I’m wearing something other than a bathing suit I like to add just a hint of polish with three easy steps that maintain the undone effect, but take the look a couple of notches up from “beachy”:
- Dampen just one or two pieces at the front of the hairline (bangs if you have them, or just a few shorter pieces if you don’t) and blow-dry them so they’re smooth;
- Use a curling iron to add extra bend to one or two pieces on each side
- Finish with Dove Strength&Shine Flexible Hold Hairspray to keep strands in place all day long.
As a Dove® Hair ambassador, all products referenced in this post were supplied by Dove®.