I spent Friday afternoon at Grand Central Terminal with Redbook Magazine talking fall fashion and getting to meet a bunch of RG readers face-to-face (always fun!).
A few favorite autumn trends featured at our walk-in closet:
1. Animal Print Everything. Obviously this doesn’t even count as a “trend” for me – it’s more like “the way that I dress all the time always” – but it’s still worth mentioning, because animal prints are everywhere right now…especially on accessories like belts (I love my cheetah one and wear it with everything), shoes, and bags.
The most up-to-the-moment way to wear them is as an accent, so look for pieces with animal-print inserts – a stripe down the leg of a pair of jeans, a shell layered under a solid-color blazer, a panel on the front of a structured purse.
2. Peplum. Yeah, still. And let me tell you: this was one trend that I was not on board with the first time it rolled around – I thought it was way too froufy and girly for me – but it’s evolved into a cut that’s far more subtle and tailored.
I wore the Ann Taylor peplum top pictured above (in black) to the event, and felt extremely pulled-together and chic – the waist detail on this particular top is more of a pleat than a puff…and while I usually don’t love accenting my waist, the buttons created a super-flattering visual illusion.
3. Printed Pants. These are such an easy way to add interest (color, pattern, texture) to your standby wardrobe of neutrals, and I especially love them in a cropped style that shows off a pair of spectacular shoes. I own the navy-and-green plaid LOFT pair pictured here, and think they’re a great work-to-weekend pick.
4. Statement Necklaces in Neutral Tones. While major brights (even neons) are still big for fall, I like keeping them on my nails – right now, I’m into jewelry that’s vintage-inspired but focuses on metals and clear stones, like the crystal piece pictured above.
5. Mid-Height Heels. Oh, YAY. Yay yay yay. I am all about mid-height heels right now: I love how they give you a little lift and make your legs look great without, you know…pain. Or at least with less pain. Almost everyone who came through the event fell in love with these Nine West Herohearts; I’m also into a menswear-inspired pump in a deep jewel tone like burgundy or royal blue.
6. Boxy Blouses. Rather than long tunics, this season’s blouses are cut across the hip and have more of a square shape. With a blouse this length, skip the blazer and let the shape of the top be the focal point.