In the summer my skin is respectably non-flaky, but in the colder months it’s all alligator, all the time. What this means: a major focus on moisturizer – once September hits, I always moisturize at least twice a day (usually more), and sometimes even use my richer nighttime moisturizer in the morning (making sure that I then also layer on a product like BB cream for sun protection).
1. Start dealing with dryness before it starts: don’t wait until major flaking sets in before implementing your winter skincare routine.
2. If your skin is extremely dry or sensitive, take a close look at the cleansing products you’re using: some very delicious-smelling things can make things even worse (for the fall, I’m switching from my summertime gel cleanser to Simple Skincare Moisturizing Facial Wash).
3. Even if your skin is oily, you need a moisturizer (you need one all year round, but especially in the winter) – just go for a lighter product, like Simple’s Hydrating Light Moisturizer.
4. Remember to cleanse using warm – not hot – water. Very hot water can actually draw moisture out of skin, making dryness even worse. (For the same reason, it’s better to go for a shower – and moisturize immediately afterwards – than a long, hot bath.)
5. Removing your makeup before bed is essential. This is a big one for me, because I didn’t used to do this religiously, and it definitely showed in terms of how healthy my skin looked. I love Simple’s Eye Make-up Remover – it’s so gentle that it feels almost like water, but takes absolutely everything off.
This week (September 23-25), Simple Skincare is holding a giveaway of their phenomenal products – all specifically tailored to suit the needs of those with sensitive skin (free of dyes, perfumes and other additives).
– Follow @SimpleSkincare on Twitter and tell them how you use Simple to get red-carpet ready (use the hashtags #SimpleVIP and #RedCarpet).
– 100 winners will take home a Simple gift bag.
Also! On Wednesday, Sept 25 from 8-9PM EST Simple is holding a Twitter party featuring fitness expert Kacy Duke and makeup expert Gita Bass. Join by following @SimpleSkincare and using the hashtag #FallBeauty to ask for advice about fall skincare, makeup and fitness, and for a chance to win lots and lots of prizes, including $100 American Express gift cards, yoga mats, makeup samples and Simple product!