When it comes to beauty products and makeup, I definitely like trying new things.
Sometimes even weird things.
But there are a few items that never (ever) leave my bag, and that have officially reached Staple Status.
1. MAC Studio Fix Powder Plus Foundation (I wear C3). I’ve used this stuff for years, and on an average day it’s literally all I need to even out my skin tone. It’s fairly heavy coverage, but feels lightweight and looks perfectly sheer when applied. Total must-have.
2. Orlane Bronzing Powder and NARS Blush in Angelika. This sheer bronzing powder and bright pink (and slightly sparkly) blush brighten up the skin just enough; they’re light enough for daytime, but look great applied with a slightly heavier hand at night.
3. Elizabeth Arden Dual Perfection Brow Shaper & Eyeliner. Everyone says it, and it’s true: fixing up your brows makes a huge difference. I don’t put this on every single day, but whenever I apply full eye makeup it’s the perfect finishing touch. Next step: actually remembering to tweeze my eyebrows more than once a year.
4. Elizabeth Arden Beautiful Color Eyeshadow in Glisten. A pale pink or gold shadow is a makeup bag essential: I apply it alone during the day for a hint of shimmer and to open up my eyes, and under darker shades at night to give the color some depth.
5. Lipstick Queen Lipstick in Saint Eden (watermelon red) and Lancome Color Design Lipstick in Love It! (pinky-brown). If I had no other lipstick save for these two, I’d be A-OK: we’re talking the perfect red and the perfect neutral. Try them; trust me.
6. Sue Devitt Lip Intensifier Pencil in KiraKira. OK, if I could choose one more lip color, I’d really like to have this one: I just apply the neutral, pinky-brown pencil all over my lips, add some balm or gloss on top, and the color stays forever and ever.
7. Sephora Long-Lasting Liquid Eyeliner and Dior Diorshow Mascara in Black. My daily eye makeup routine always involves these two products: the liquid liner has a perfectly tapered, easy-to-maneuver tip, and the mascara is just the best.
8. Laura Mercier’s All Over Eye Colour Brush. I own the two-sided Laura Mercier brush pictured above (part of her Holiday Brush Collection), but the side I use most is identical to this brush, and it’s perfect. It deposits just the right amount of color, blends beautifully, and lasts forever.
9. Dove Style+Care Nourishing Dry Ends Serum. Especially at this time of year, when my hair becomes extra-dry and static-y, I always keep this easy-to-tote bottle of serum in my purse for a quick fix.
10. Elizabeth Arden Eight Hour Cream. Own this. It’s a cult classic, and I heard that people were all weird about how amazing it was…and I totally didn’t get it, until I picked up a tube, and yes. I use it everywhere, all the time, on both myself and my son.
11. Moisturizer. Always. Right now, I’m using La Roche-Posay Hydraphase Intense Riche Facial Moisturizer; it’s a really lovely, light formula. I wouldn’t necessarily recommend it if your skin is extra dry (I find it a tiny bit too light for my own skin), but it’s great for wintertime hydration if your skin is normal (or even a little oily).