Holiday dessert suggestion: a bowl of fancy vanilla bean ice cream and a few slices of Salted Caramel Pears – which, as a bonus, are extremely easy to make and respectably inexpensive. They also make very pretty gifts tied up in a cellophane bag with a metallic ribbon (but package each one separately so they don’t stick together).
SALTED CARAMEL PEARS (makes 2)
1. Gently heat about 10 caramels in a heavy-bottomed saucepan, adding a little milk or cream to loosen, if necessary.
2. Set washed and dried pears on a sheet of wax paper.
3. Once melted, use a spoon to pour the caramel over the pears, either coating them fully or halfway up.
4. While the caramel is still wet, sprinkle over a little good-quality fleur de sel.
5. Allow to harden in the refrigerator, and serve within 24 hours (you don’t want the pears to go bad).
Click here for Chocolate and Caramel-Covered Apples.