Saturday / Coney Island
Saturday was Coney Island Day: always an excellent day for us, and one that we will likely be repeating a couple more times before fall hits (most certainly for the Coney Island Rockabilly Festival over Labor Day weekend, totallylookingforwardtoityay).
Coney Island is surprisingly easy to get to: about an hour on the N or Q trains from most points in Manhattan (the R has too many stops; don’t take it), and once you’re there, you’re there. Like, right in the middle of total and utter bliss.
My Coney Island Must-Dos:
– Ride the Spook-o-Rama
– Jump around in the water fountain/palm tree-thing on the beach with the kids
– Stop into Ruby’s Old Tyme Bar & Grill (on the boardwalk) for a beer and fabulous jukebox action
– Eat a Nathan’s hot dog with sauerkraut
– Play that dart-throwing game (I won Lucy’s new best friend Louis, pictured below), Skee-Ball, and Dance Dance Revolution
– Embarrass self at Whack-A-Mole (score: seven)
– Visit Coney Island Craft Lagers to learn how to home-brew a dry-hopped pilsner (buy them HERE)
– Check out the Circus Sideshow
Clockwise from top left: On the N; Kendrick in Ruby’s; at Nathan’s, waiting for my dog; Skee-Ball; Coney Island Pilsner; my boy Louis (won from throwing darts with incredible, spot-on accuracy).
Snippets & Joy: